THE BELLS of St. NICHOLAS, SILTON
THE TENOR BELL weighs 9cwt
and 10lbs. It was founded by Thomas Knight
of Closworth in 1702 and has the note
Fs. Inscription – T K B F 1702.
THE 5TH BELL weighs
7cwt 1qtr and 18lbs. It was founded by John Lott
of Warminster in 1633 and has the note
Gs. Inscription – J - L with royal arms
THE 4TH BELL weighs
6cwt and 10lbs. The founder is unknown and the
date is approximately
1400. It has
the note As. Inscription – DOMINUS – W – BIDYCK – RECTOR.
THE 3RD BELL weighs
5cwt and 27lbs. The founder was John Lott of
1627 and has the note Bn. Inscription – J
L 1627. The gift of Judge Wyndham.
THE 2ND BELL
weighs 5cwt 3qtrs and 21lbs. The founders were
Charles and George Mears
of Whitechapel in 1844. It has the note Cs. Inscription – G
C T G 1844.
THE NEW TREBLE BELL – TO COMMEMORATE THE MILLENNIUM
THE BELL WAS BORN AT WHITECHAPEL
AT 12.25 p.m. ON THE 10TH JULY 1998.
She weighed 5cwt and 20lbs with a diameter of 2’5” and
the note of Ds.
are peculiar as it is a bell with two dates. On
one side is the Whitechapel Foundry insignia and 1988. On
the opposite side is – MM AD - DEO FAVENTE – SILTON. On
the top rim is the Millennium Commission logo.
The present bell frame was installed by Thomas Blackbourne
of Salisbury in 1900.
The bells were re-hung by Robert Parker of Taunton
The new treble bell was hung on the 17th August 1998
by Robert Parker.
Our thanks to the
Millennium Commission for their grant and to visitors
for your contributions.
Church - St
Nicholas, Silton. Diocese
- Salisbury. Branch - Mere.
A ground floor ring of 6 bells. Tenor 9-0-10 in G.
Sunday morning ringing - 9.45 a.m. to 10.30 a.m.
Wednesday evening practice - 7.30 p.m. till 9.00 p.m.
Visiting ringers are always
welcome. Please sign the visitors’ book
in the Tower.
We are a very friendly band and would be pleased to
welcome new-comers and learners.
Tower Captain - Peter Martin.